Civil Unit

General Information

Colorado State Law mandates all Sheriff's Offices within the State maintain a Civil Unit. The Civil Unit is responsible for the service of all civil papers received by the Sheriff's Office. The Civil Unit also executes all court orders involving civil process issued by the Courts, to include the collection of money and/or seizure of property, as prescribed by law.

The Unit collects any and all required fees and keeps/sends accurate returns to the courts of this County, as well as to all other courts in the United States. They are also responsible for arranging and conducting Sheriff's Sales and making due return to the court in accordance with the law.

Tenants having questions about the eviction process can visit Qualifying tenants may be eligible for free legal help from Pikes Peak Legal Services (719-471-0380).

Things you should know...

  • Restraining Orders take priority over all other types of service. This is due to the hightened danger and/or potential for injury related to these situations.
  • Restitution/Evictions are the second highest priority of the Unit. These court orders are time sensitive and have to be scheduled in advance of their execution.
  • In addition to the service of civil process papers, the Civil Unit is occasionally required to seize property (both real and personal). This property is either returned to the owner or put up for Sheriff's Sale in order to satisfy a judgment of the court.
  • On average, the Civil Unit receives a total of approximately 900 civil process papers/orders per month.
  • Currently, the Civil Unit is staffed with one Sergeant, six Deputies, and three civilian clerks.
  • Deputies assigned to the Unit often encounter criminal activity while serving civil papers and executing court orders. When this occurs the Deputies take appropriate action in accordance with the law.

Distraint Warrants

CRS 39-10-111: At any time after the first day of October, the treasurer shall enforce collection of delinquent taxes on personal property by commencing a court action for collection or employing a collection agency as provided in Section 39-10-112 or by distraining, seizing, and selling the property. Whenever a Distraint Warrant is issued, it shall be served by the Sheriff or a commissioned deputy or, at the discretion of the Sheriff, by a private server of process hired for the purpose. Any cost incurred as a result of hiring a private server of process shall be paid by the Sheriff’s Office, and the cost shall not exceed the amount specified in section 30-1-104 (1) (a), CRS.