The El Paso County Sheriff's Office has been participating in the accreditation process since 1992. The accreditation process provides us with the opportunity and guidance for evaluating and comparing our operations against nationally recognized standards. Achieving and maintaining accreditation requires commitment across all areas of our agency. The Accreditation Unit works diligently with agency personnel to identify and remedy any operational deficiencies, therefore continually improving the quality of our law enforcement and correctional programs and services.
The El Paso County Sheriff's Office participates in the accreditation process with the American Correctional Association (ACA), National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) and Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
· The American Correctional Association (ACA) Awarded the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office - Criminal Justice Center with Re-Accreditation in January 2019. The most recent audit was conducted in November 2021. The final report has not been received.
· The National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) most recently awarded the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office - Criminal Justice Center with Re-Accreditation in October 2021.
· The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office is currently in the initial assessment phase for obtaining accreditation from the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA).
· The United States Department of Justice passed the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) in 2003. In order for correctional facilities to be considered compliant, they are required to be audited by certified Department of Justice auditors every three years. The El Paso County Sheriff’s Office completed its most recent PREA audit April 2020 with 100% compliance.
Benefits of Accreditation:
• Ensures compliance with nationally adopted standards
• Establishes guidelines for daily operations
• Reduces costly and time-consuming litigation
• Assesses our strengths and weaknesses
• Establishes fair and nondiscriminatory personnel practices
• Solidifies interagency cooperation and coordination
• Strengthens organizational effectiveness