Deputy Sheriff - Certified
Pre-Employment Steps to Becoming a Deputy Sheriff - Certified
- Written Test
- Background Check
- Medical Evaluation
- Truth Verification Test
- Psychological Evaluation
- Drug Screen
Lateral Hire Information for Deputy Sheriff - Certified
- Candidates with qualifying experience will be compensated at the recruit salary while in the academy.
- Upon graduation from the recruit academy, recruits hired with qualifying experience will be compensated at a rate commensurate with their experience.
- Deputy III - 2 years of qualified experience within the last three years.
- Deputy II - 4 years of experience within the last five years.
- Deputies hired through the lateral program will be required to sign a contract stating that they will be ineligible for rehire if they leave the Office within two years from their date of hire.
- All lateral hire deputies will be assigned to the Detentions Bureau upon graduation from the academy.
- Current deputies who meet the lateral hire requirements must submit a request for consideration in writing to the Administrative Bureau Chief. Any grade/step advancement would be from the effective date of this program and not from the date of hire.
Post-Employment for a Deputy Recruit
- Post Training Academy (approximately 22 weeks).
- Detention Training Program (6 weeks).
- $63,337.60 Annual Salary (starting).
- $70,428.80 Annual Salary (After one full year after graduation from Academy).
All applicants to the Sheriff’s Office must apply from the El Paso County Current Job Openings’ website.