Deputy Sheriff - Certified
Pre-Employment Steps to Becoming a Deputy Sheriff - Certified
- Written Test
- Background Check
- Medical Evaluation
- Truth Verification Test
- Psychological Evaluation
- Drug Screen
Lateral Hire Information for Deputy Sheriff - Certified
- Candidates with qualifying experience will be compensated at the recruit salary while in the academy.
- Upon graduation from the recruit academy, recruits hired with qualifying experience will be compensated at a rate commensurate with their experience.
- Deputy III - 2 years of qualified experience within the last three years.
- Deputy II - 4 years of experience within the last five years.
- Deputies hired through the lateral program will be required to sign a contract stating that they will be ineligible for rehire if they leave the Office within two years from their date of hire.
- All lateral hire deputies will be assigned to the Detentions Bureau upon graduation from the academy.
- Current deputies who meet the lateral hire requirements must submit a request for consideration in writing to the Administrative Bureau Chief. Any grade/step advancement would be from the effective date of this program and not from the date of hire.
Post-Employment for a Deputy Recruit
- Post Training Academy (approximately 22 weeks).
- Detention Training Program (6 weeks).
- $63,337.60 Annual Salary (starting).
- $70,428.80 Annual Salary (After one full year after graduation from Academy).
Salary and Benefits Information
All applicants to the Sheriff’s Office must apply from the El Paso County Current Job Openings’ website.